Thursday, October 4, 2018

Blog Journal #5


      Using Diigo for the first time was a very enlightening experience. The concept of bookmarking was familiar to me since I have used computers for years, but social bookmarking was a unique entity. Finding articles/web pages, and then tagging it to our class group was something that I could see myself implementing in my future classroom. I particularly loved how we could comment and analyze the bookmarks shared by classmates. Another aspect I enjoyed was how we could catalog or differentiate pages with tags that we created ourselves. However, I do think the layout could be more colorful and less of a cluttered feed of tagged pages. I also dislike how there are some features limited since we are only utilizing the free version, as the entire educational source should be more available to all.  
      Before this semester, I never blogged consistently in my life. By posting every week, I realize that I am reflecting more critically than ever before on my thoughts with educational technology. Since I write paragraphs on what I am learning and feeling, I am becoming more aware of what I love with teaching. I further recognize my strengths and passions with English materials, and am challenged with the assignments and readings. A downside that I noticed is that I have become too critical of myself when writing the blogs. I am more aware of my weaknesses when doing assignments and tasks, such as designing a newsletter or anything visually creative. I often enjoy writing the blogs since I am a gifted writer, but I dislike writing that is for a grade. Furthermore, I discovered that I find it fascinating how my thoughts are out there for others to comment or critique. This feeling is unusual because I commonly keep my writings to myself, and do not share them with others. The blogging experience has forced me out of my comfort zone and deeper into the world of educational technology.
      Ted Talks (TED Conferences LLC) are a phenomenal type of Web 2.0 tool to introduce to a classroom. Ted Talks are inspirational and educational discussions from renowned guest speakers of our modern era. They extend over multiple fields such as technology, philosophy, business, science, and education. These brief speeches are available online for people to stream and learn from whenever they desire. Ted Talks are a Web 2.0 tool because it counts as a shareable content. The tool can be listened to as an interactive resource, people can tag others to the source, and the possibility of reaching billions of people exists. I would include these in my class curriculum because they can spark critical thinking from my students on a variety of issues, specifically literature for my future English class. CK Williams has a beautiful speech on "Poetry of Youth and Age" that I would introduce to my class to inspire their writing and mindset on creating literary art. All in all, Ted Talks are an incredible way to reach or motivate students and educators to achieve their full potential, and to learn something new about the world and themselves in the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ILP “Design” – Prezi

ILP #2 - DESIGN        For the design aspect of my ILP #2, I decided to create a Prezi power point to practice creating educational ...