Thursday, October 18, 2018

Blog Post #6

Blog Post #6: Teacher Responsibilities


      A school website can be a wonderful resource to connect with students, parents, and fellow teachers. To analyze with a real-life example, I took a quick glance at a random school that I searched from Google called Osbourn Park High. The school houses students from grades 9th to 12th, and includes information such as an academic calendar that discusses important testing dates and days off. Following that, there is a faculty and staff list with emails provided to contact every member, along with an extensive list of courses that the school provides for students (AP, Honors, Remedial, etc.). Detailed information about specific classes was hidden from me, as the site provided a private Canvas login for students and parents only. However, I found a specific 12th grade Language Arts teacher named Matthew Hoffman, with a class page for his seniors. His page listed out the days which his classes are on, his contact information (email and phone number), and he displayed his office hours. The educator included two tabs titled "Useful Links" and "Files and Documents." Unfortunately, Hoffman's links are not active or working, and the only file I could view was his class syllabus. Out of curiosity, I checked the other Language Arts teachers' pages, and found similar results. Most only contained the class syllabus, course times, and the teacher's contact information.



      With all the responsibilities that educators have, technology is an important ally for us. In the near future, I envision myself utilizing an online grade-book database such as Canvas. This system would help me distribute assignments and announcements, record student grades, and be able to directly contact students or parents wherever they are. Being able to prevent the consumption and the clutter of paper, along with the mobile access seems immensely beneficial. Another way that technology can assist me in effectively teaching is with a blog on Blogger or with a monthly class newsletter. I would distribute it online (and in person if needed) so parents can be aware of upcoming dates, testing schedule, and other information for their child. By designing a website for the class, I can address concerns before parents have to contact me and ask. This will save time for myself and the families, as loads of information can be distributed on the go. Having parents up to date is vital, and this allows me to appear professional and to communicate with them effectively. 
      When my group visited the Technology Sandbox, the augmented reality device stuck was the most distinct. While wearing the headset, users can be transported to a whole new dimension where everything they see feels realistic and engaging. This device seems phenomenal for a classroom, as you can simulate virtually any scenario. For my future English classroom, I could use the AR to show students the time era or setting that the literary work takes place in. For example, when teaching Romeo and Juliet, I would show 16th-17th century Verona, Italy to assist the students in imagining where the characters and story lines are interacting. The AR can also be utilized for students who are having a rough day and need a quick break to recharge themselves. By entering this calm and separate world, they can hopefully ease their minds for a couple of minutes and then return to class focused.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ILP “Design” – Prezi

ILP #2 - DESIGN        For the design aspect of my ILP #2, I decided to create a Prezi power point to practice creating educational ...