Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Blog Journal #1

Technology and Teaching: The Development of the Classroom



     Since the world is constantly updating and inventing new technology, teachers are encouraged to do the same with their classrooms. Technology in 2018 is inescapable, so applying it to learning is an engaging way to reach students. The current generation has been raised on technological devices their entire lives. Technology allows teachers to explore exciting new ways of learning, where students can participate as if they were playing a game. Additionally, students and teachers are pushed to use technology because of the advantages they offer regarding distance, sickness, disabilities, and so on. Instructors can reach students without both of them being in the same room!

     The ISTE provides multiple important standards to aim for when teaching students. A standard that I greatly connect with is the "Leader" standard. As a educator, you need to be confident, in control, and compassionate towards all of your students. It is a primary responsibility to empower students, ensure that all have equity when learning, and to be a role model for the youth and colleagues alike. A standard that seems challenging to me is the "Collaborator" standard. I struggle with working on teams because I am fiercely independent and like to take charge on projects with my own vision. Adding other thoughts and ideas into the mix can be beneficial, but facilitating multiple voices and minds is no easy task.

     The phrase "digital native" refers to those fluent in technological practices and are more comfortable with the use of it then other groups (generally older generations). The assumptions of being a "digital native" appear to be accurate, as younger people are often born and raised interacting with technology, and are much more adept than digital immigrants. The differences between digital immigrants and natives are evident, as the teachers I've had often need IT assistance or a student to troubleshoot any problems with technology. In high school, a teacher in his late 50's could not figure out how to get the sound working for an educational video, and a student was able to make the fix within a minute. Other instances include teachers only using an uninteresting power point or Microsoft Word to teach, instead of using creative games or websites to teach lessons. As a digital native myself, I do have a short attention span, thrive in technological environments, and prefer to learn via games/apps. In the future, I expect my students to be more proficient than myself with technology, as young minds will be formed around the new devices while my aging brain may struggle to keep up. However, since my generation was raised around technology, I expect us to be more competent teaching with it than the generation before me.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your assumptions about digital natives, as I have watched teachers time and again not understand what the youtube autoplay function does. I will say that when technology becomes cumbersome and counter-intuitive, I think the playing field tends to level out, as immigrants usually actually understand the rules as opposed to assuming they know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement about how younger people who have grown up interacting with technology are more adept than people who have not. It is very interesting to see how older teachers are adapting to technology today and using them in their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally held the same beliefs as you when it came to being a digital native. I cannot tell you how many times I had to help a teacher out when they could not figure out the sound. I remember one time senior year actually being able to "hack" into the projector of a relatively older teacher and turn it off. she could not figure out how it turned off and gave up for the rest of the day. To finish, I also hope that our generation is more prone to teach with technology and use it to the best of everyone's ability

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey man, i have to say that i agree with you on your point about games/apps making learning more interesting and flashy compared to boring and uninteresting power point slides. Its incredible to see the progression of teaching technologies. with attention spans becoming shorter and shorter, technology is forced to keep up in order for students to successfully intake information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think as a generalization, you are correct when you are talking about digital natives vs. digital immigrants, but I do think there are exceptions to this rule as well.

    ReplyDelete

ILP “Design” – Prezi

ILP #2 - DESIGN        For the design aspect of my ILP #2, I decided to create a Prezi power point to practice creating educational ...